A little sunshine to break through this dreary winter (even though it doesn’t look like winter here. ahhh, I want snow). In October, the awesome Dezzy @ The Thoughtful Voice tagged me for this award! I’m so honored that she thought of me (and praying that she doesn’t mind that I’m doing this tag 3 months late). Dezzy has such a pretty blog, so make sure to check it out!
- Thank the blogger who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the sunshine blogger award logo in your post/or on your blog.
1. What’s your favorite type of blog post to write, and why?
Hmmm, probably Top Ten Tuesday posts and monthly wrap-ups? I love making lists (specifically TBR ones, tho I’m never super great at sticking to them) and TTT coomunity is great. In regard to wrap-ups, I find it super pleasing to reflect on all the books I read in a month (and again, write a TBR for the next month). Tho my wrap-up posts are not always great when I procrastinate and leave all the writing until right before I post it (as opposed to periodically working on the post throughout the month).
2. Do you usually reread books? Why or why not?
Not super often, but sometimes! Generally I’ll reread books if I want to go back and finish a series. One of my favorite books, which I’ll never stop reading tho, is The Goose Girl!
3. What’s a book that made you an emotional wreck and/or broke your heart?
Hmm, I tend to avoid books that will make me an emotional wreck, but the last book that made me cry (and I almost NEVER cry over books) was The Bird and the Blade. I won’t say more, but if you haven’t picked up this book yet, go do so now! It’s a YA retelling of the opera Turandot.
4. What’s a book that brought you the utmost joy (you couldn’t stop smiling after reading it)?
Oooh, there are probably a lot of books I could name for this, but the first one that comes to mind is Crown of Midnight. I loved how dramatic the ending was and I remember thinking about the book and speculating about the next one for months afterwards.
5. Standalone books or book series?
Ooooh, this is hard! I love series because it means you get more of the characters but I also love standalones because of the lack of commitment they require….so, series, I guess? Tho lately I suck at finishing them (looking @ you Kingdom of Ash and Crooked Kingdom).
6. If you could unread a book, what would it be and why?
Probably any one that I’ve given a one star, since I only give that rating to books that I think are complete trash. One star reads–usually because I binge-read to get them over with/find out what happens at the end–always leave me feeling gross after I finish reading them and I hate that feeling.
7. How has your blogging style and writing voice changed since you first started blogging?
Ermmm, I think I’ve gotten more informal and casual in my writing? Also, when I first started my blog, I didn’t take it very seriously and my posts were pretty irregular. I didn’t start putting more effort into my blog and posting regularly until the start of 2018 (which is 4 months after I started Are You My Book?).
8. How have your reading tastes changed ever since you started blogging?
Hmm, I don’t know if they have? I think perhaps I’m a little bit more open about trying books from other genres (outside of my usual area of YA fantasy), but I don’t think I can specifically nail down any other changes.
9. How did you discover your favorite author and/or favorite books?
One of my favorite series is Sarah J. Maas’s Throne of Glass series (tho I still have yet to read the last book). I honestly think I discovered it merely by searching for books on Amazon. I remember discovering the first book and I think perhaps it hadn’t been publish at the time (lol I remember frantically searching the internet for a longer excerpt because I was so hooked by the opening pages in the Amazon preview). I forgot about the book until a couple months later in 2012 and then asked for it for Christmas. I’ve been hooked ever since.
10. What’s your favorite movie adaptation?
If you had asked me before 2018, I would have instantly said A Walk to Remember. But after 2018 with the release of Love, Simon and watching the BBC mini-series of Pride and Prejudice for my Jane Austen class, those are now also top contenders…
11. List three favorite books and one song you associate with each of them!
Eep, I’m gonna have to bail out on the song portion of this question; I’m horrible at recalling song titles, let alone knowing them in the first place. 😬
- What’s your favorite book to recommend?
- If you were forced to try out a new type of blog post (e.g. a new format or topic), what would it be about?
- If you had to dye your hair a color from the rainbow, what color would you pick?
- Who’s an auto-buy author of yours?
- Your all-time favorite snack?
- Current obsession? (e.g. movie, song, TV show, book)
- Tell us a little bit about your blogging routine?
- Tea or coffee and what’s your favorite kind?
- What’s your favorite day of the week?
- If someone handed you a giftcard to a bookstore right now, what book would you buy with it?
- What’s a goal of yours for 2019? (bookish, blogging-wise, other, it doesn’t matter)
- Hannah @ Books, Life, and Other Oddities
- Annah @ Living for Him
- Susan @ Bloggin’ ’bout Books
- Melanie @ Meltotheany
If you’ve already done this tag or you don’t like doing tags, no pressure!
(Also, yes, I know that is clearly not 11 bloggers but I had trouble finding blogs that were currently active and hadn’t already received this award!)