Despite doing a lot of reading for classes, I barely finished reading any books in January?? And yes, we’re half way through the month again and I’m only just now wrapping up the previous month. (Sorry not sorry)
January was a decent but a little bit of an overwhelming month. Winter break quickly finished up and I returned to college for my final semester (EEEK!). It was great to be reunited with my friends and housemates, but I didn’t quite feel the same with classes and homework. 😝 Thank goodness I’m taking a lighter load of 3 classes (as opposed to 4) but they’re all fairly reading-heavy so in actuality it doesn’t feel that much lighter. As a result tho, I quickly fell off my writing & reading goals (which I talked about in my 2020 Goals post–my first and favorite post of January!). But I’m hoping (well maybe…possibly??) I can get back in the swing of things and get on top of my life. Fingers crossed. 🤞
1. The Will and the Wilds by Charlie N. Holmberg
Rating: 3.5 stars
My first read of 2020! It was a fun, quick & light romantic fantasy and a great palette cleanser! You can read my full review here.
2. Telling Secrets by Frederick Buechner
Rating: 3 stars
I read this short memoir for my senior seminar. Buechner showcases a lot of great writing, ideas, and character development, but I really struggled with how often he wrote from inside his head (as opposed to relaying a specific memory/scene). For only 106 pages, it took me awhile to get through this book.
- The Unspoken Name— Buddy read w/ Sammie @ The Writerly Way! (Okay, technically this buddy read kinda already started AND ended, but shhh, I’m leaving this on here).
- Little Women– Another book I’m already currently reading, but planning on completing this month!
I wish I could add more to this list, but even with a lighter load of classes, I’m still pretty swamped with lots of other readings to do!
Random Life Updates:
- I started my last semester of college! AHHHH, how am I graduating in May??
- Trying to remember how to do school after Winter Break was hard. I am still procrastinating. 😅 Perhaps for my final semester I should actually learn to get my butt in gear and be on top of things?? Nahhh
- I saw Melissa Albert on her The Night Country book tour! As always when getting my books signed, I was very awkward, but hey, at least I talked! I am so excited to pick up this sequel now!
- Helped my mother take our cats to the vet and surprise surprise two of the 3 gained weight. My cat Lucky is now 17 pounds, eek! Also, we partly traumatized them in the process of trying to get all 3 of them to the vet (you get a discount if you bring all 3 in at once). It was a 3-person effort to get Lucky out from under my parents’ bed. 😅 I swear all my cats are okay now though! And despite the weight concern, everything else about them came back as healthy!
- I feel like there should be more to this list? But I guess I really did just spend most of the month procrastinating on homework, doing homework, hanging out with friends, going out for food, and oh, sorta scrambling to apply for things to do after college! (I did actually hear back from one but I’ll talk more about that in my February wrap-up 😉 )