Aaaaand, I’m back with another super late monthly wrap-up post! I promised I would get better at this, but alas, I think I only did well for a month or two. Maybe next month I’ll be more on top of my blogging when I take a break from writing to recover from Camp Nano??
I know I say this every month, but where did the time go? Besides a few select activities, I am not sure what I really did in June!? I managed to squeeze in a decent amount of blogging and some WIP prep during the second half of June, but other than that…?? Also, I’m a bit bummed that I didn’t do near as much reading as I expected to. I read 4 books in June, one of which was a short graphic novel and another was a book I had read the majority of during April & May. Fingers crossed for July?? (tho at this rate I may have similar results whoops)
1. Let’s Talk About Love by Claire Kann
Rating: 4.5 stars
SO CUTE! I’m still swooning over Alice’s and Takumi’s characters! It was the perfect summer rom-com, and I loved seeing the bi-romantic asexual rep! I highly recommend this romance! You can read my full review here.
2. The Tea Dragon Festival by Katie O’Neill
Rating: 5 stars
So cute, colorful, and beautifully diverse! And there are tea dragons and regular dragons! Can someone please transport me into this magical world? Katie O’Neill continues to make me fall in love with every single one of her works that I pick up.
3. Aftershocks by Markos Kloos
Rating: 3.5 stars
After 2 months, I finally finished this book! It wasn’t a bad story per se, it just took me awhile to get into the story and to remember to listen to the audiobook! Complex space-travel science fiction is also not my usual genre. A lot of the scientific jargon went over my head, and I was only interest in like 2.5 of the protagonists, but I’m planning on continuing onto the sequel later this month or in August.
4. Girl, Serpent, Thorn by Melissa Bashardoust
Rating: 4.5 stars
Lol, it seems like every post I have written of late mentions this book. But that’s okay, because EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW HOW ASTOUNDING AND WHIMSICAL THIS BOOK IS! It has fairytale vibes, draws inspiration from Persian mythology and Zoroastrianism, contains demons & monsters, and features a cute sapphic romance. That’s all you really need to know, right? Great, now go forth and read this book!
RANDOM LIFE UPDATES:
- Attended my first protest! It was organized by a local organization to show support for BLM and demand police accountability and justice, in particular for a recent case involving a local woman. When I got there I ended up volunteering to help pass out water bottles. It was an eye-opening experience, and if you haven’t attended a protest before, I highly recommend doing so (if/when you are able)!
- My writing buddy and I have started having (socially distant) writing dates and they’ve been such a blessing to my life because I need the motivation & accountability. Would not be getting through Camp Nano right now without her tbh
- Saw some old high school friends! We sat in a friend’s back yard in a (wide) circle, another friend tossed us cookies using tongs, and we caught up on life! At least one of the small positives of this pandemic is that a lot of my friends moved back in with their parents so we are all in the same area once more!
- Received my diploma in the mail, lol
- Honestly, I do not really know what is happening in my life anymore. 🤷♀️ Some how the days pass without me really doing anything?? When I do try to be productive, it usually leads me to despairing over job apps, eeek.
Posts by Other Bloggers That I Enjoyed:
Finally adding this section to my monthly wrap-ups! I follow so many amazing bloggers, and I really need to give them shout-outs more often!
- Sammie @ The Bookwyrm’s Den wrote about how being a librarian has changed her perspective on recommending books and writing reviews. She has so many good insights, so definitely check out her post!
- Leelynn @ Sometimes Leelynn Reads posted recommendations of diverse books with a focus on souls. I immediately wanted to read all of these books and even went out and ordered Kingdom of Souls!
- Holly @ A Mug of Wit and Wisdom wrote a great review for The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue that got me more excited for the release!
- Sorcery of Thorns– Already finished this one the other day in a buddy read with Sammie @ The Bookwyrm’s Den! It was super fun! RTC maybe?
- The Downstairs Girl– Gotta read this before it’s due back at the library!
- Lobizona– Need to read this eARC soon so I can start prepping my review for my blog tour stop!
- Ballistic– The sequel to Aftershocks!